Progressive Enhancement: Tools and Techniques
Anne Sullivan (Google)
3:45pm Tuesday, 06/22/2010
Web Performance 209/210
Please note: to attend, your registration must include workshops.
People planning to attend this session also want to see:
- Psychology of Performance
- Stupid Web Caching (and Other Intermediary) Tricks
- Building Performance Into the New Yahoo! Homepage
- Keeping Track of Your Performance Using Show Slow
|Progressive Enhancement is a powerful methodology that allows Web developers to concentrate on building the best possible websites while balancing the issues inherent in those websites being accessed by multiple unknown user-agents. Progressive Enhancement (PE) is the principle of starting with a rock-solid foundation and then adding enhancements to it if you know certain visiting user-agents can handle the improved experience.
PE differs from Graceful Degradation (GD) in that GD is the journey from complexity to simplicity, whereas PE is the journey from simplicity to complexity. PE is considered a better methodology than GD because it tends to cover a greater range of potential issues as a baseline. PE is the whitelist to GD’s blacklist.
Implementing Progressive Enhancement
- Finding serial requests
- Finding requests that block rendering
Fixing UI Generated by JS
- Progressive Enhance HTML
- Research the impact of Accessibility (Speaker mentioned ARIA)
- Event Queuing
- Late loading
- Webkit Timeline
- MySpace Performance Tracker
- Google Page Speed